Jonathan Toubin / New York Night Train celebrates the tenth anniversary of his SOUL CLAP & DANCE-OFF by leaving his records at home and throwing a special edition where he flies his favorite artists in to play their hits in a fast-paced live review settting for your dancing pleasure in the warm wooden confines of Warsaw Concerts!
This is an event like no other! Get a load of this unprecedented lineup:
Joe Bataan and his orchestra
Ural Thomas & the Pain
Nick Waterhouse and his band
and special surprise guests!
accompanied by thee fabulous NY Night Train Shadow Dancers!
also get in thee MIDNIGHT $500 Metropolis Vintage DANCE-OFF with Joe Bataan and his orchestra playing live and judges TBA
Doors at 7:30! Show at 8:30! 16+! Get $30 tickets now!
- Irma Thomas - A rare NYC appearance by "The Soul Queen of New Orleans"! originator of "Time Is On My Side," "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is," "Ruler of My Heart," "It's Raining," "Breakaway," "Hitting On Nothing," "Don't Mess With My Man," and other classics!
- Archie Bell - From Houston, TX, he not only sings but he dances as good as he walks! "Tighten Up"! "I Can't Stop Dancing," "There's Gonna Be A Showdown," etc
- Joe Bataan - Can I get a Soul Clap? "The King of New York" Subway Joe and his orchestra turn up the heat with their melting pot Fania Records Latin Soul bombs!
- Maxine Brown - The gospel teen who went secular and broke the charts with "All In My Mind" and "Funny" became one of soul music's most consistent hit makers both alone and as a part of an amazing duo withChuck Jackson!
- Young Jessie - Originally a member of doo wop supergroup the Flairs, Lieber and Stoller convinced teenage Young Jesse to go solo and record the original versions of standards like "Mary Lou" and "I Smell A Rat," joined The Coasters (that's him on "Searchin'" and "Young Blood"!), and then went on to records some of the finest and most coveted soul 45s ever recorded!
- Baby Washington - All over the R&B charts from the 1950s to 1970s, Baby started out in doo wop (the Jaynetts!) and rock'n'roll ("Move On") and went on to record huge hits like "That's How Heartaches Are Made," Northern Soul standards like "The Time," popcorn favorites like "Let Love Go By," and rhythm and blues classics like "I've Got a Feeling".
- Ural Thomas & the Pain - The Portland, OR soul sensation behind the classic "Pain Is The Name Of Your Game" has come back in a big way in the last couple of years with a critically acclaimed Light In The Attic Records LP and sold out shows up and down the west coast! This will be his first NYC gig since playing the Apollo in 1971!
- David Johansen - NYC's own Lonely Planet Boy of course exploded into public consciousness with thee New York Dolls and has been knocking 'em dead ever since with his “Funky But Chic” solo career, international "Hot Hot Hot" pop and film stardom as Buster Poindexter, and old weird American supergroup David Johansen and the Harry Smiths.
- King Khan - Berlin's brown soul king is the leader of the 9-piece psychedelic soul combo King Khan And The Shrines, half of supreme rock'n'roll duo The King Khan and BBQ Show and Bollywood revisionistsTandoori Knights, and the funky soul solo artist who did the soundtrack to last year's black power documentary "The Invaders."
- Nick Waterhouse - Taking the international soul party universe on its head with his self-released 2010 single “Some Place,” California's bespectacled rhythm and blues wunderkind has spent the last few years prolifically touring and releasing critically acclaimed albums, collaborating with the likes of Jon Batiste and Leon Bridges, and producing garage rockers Allah-Las, latin soulsters BOOGALOO ASSASSINS, and classic soul man Ural Thomas. Nick's band will also provide backing for all of the night's artists!
brought to you by Todd-O-Phonic Todd, Ponderosa Stomp Foundation, Live Nation, Nick Waterhouse, and Jonathan Toubin / New York Night Train
stick around NYC March 4 for the second night of Thee Clap's anniversary atBaby's All Right with DJs from all over and amazing surprise live acts!
join the NY Night Train mailing list to keep up to date about this and other parties: MailingList@NewYorkNightTrain.com